Director of Development (Part-Time)
The Wade Institute for Science Education seeks a mission-driven, experienced and creative development professional to design and implement fundraising strategies to support the organization’s initiatives and programs. The Wade Institute for Science Education (formerly MITS) is a not-for profit corporation whose mission is to promote the teaching of participatory, inquiry-based science, mathematics and technology/engineering education at the K-12 levels in partnership with museums and other non-profit organizations. The Wade Institute provides professional learning programs and resources for K-12 formal and informal educators. This is a part-time position based in Quincy, MA .
This is an exciting time to join the Wade Institute. With a new name for the organization, a new strategic plan, long-time leadership at the board and executive level, and strong program and administrative staff, the organization is poised to have a significant impact on STEM education locally, regionally and nationally.
The Director of Development will have a strategic and comprehensive focus around outreach to existing supporters and new prospects with the goals of increasing major gifts and annual fund giving from individuals, developing a strong pipeline of corporate and foundation funders and exploring public funding opportunities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build key relationships with existing donors and new prospects, including individuals, foundations, corporations, research organizations, education agencies, state and federal government agencies and other relevant organizations.
- Plan and implement all development efforts, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Manage all donor communications, including acknowledgements and donor newsletter. Collaborate with other Wade Institute staff to develop materials and social media activities related to development.
- Further develop and enhance annual giving and major gift programs.
- Research, cultivate and apply to foundation and corporate funders. There is the potential to work with a contract grant writer if necessary.
- Explore opportunities for public funding and a planned giving program for individuals.
- Build the capacity of Board members and other staff to participate in ongoing donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Establish appropriate and achievable goals for development initiatives and activities for each fiscal year.
- Maintain relevant donor data in the organization’s CRM system (DonorPerfect).
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated success in securing major support from private and/or public sources for educational or related projects and in developing effective working relationships with external organizations and agencies.
- Experience in “small shop” development operations strongly preferred.
- Experience in education and with STEM organizations preferred, but not required.
- Exceptional communication & interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized with strong time management skills and ability to prioritize.
The Director of Development is a part-time position based out of Quincy, MA. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Closing Date: August 31st or until the position is filled.
To apply, send cover letter (required) and resume to the Wade Institute for Science Education, 1354 Hancock Street, Suite 302, Quincy, MA 02169 or email@example.com. The Wade Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information on the Wade Institute for Science Education visit www.wadeinstitutema.org.