Summer Professional Development Institutes are unique professional development courses offered in eight regions of Massachusetts. These professional development institutes for teachers bring together scientists, engineers and other STEM professionals with educators from museums, aquariums, natural science centers and other science, technology or cultural organizations to provide 1 week or hybrid graduate level courses. Visit each of the partner organization’s sites for 1-2 days and participate in both STEM content and inquiry-based skill development sessions. Depending on the region, daily activities include: nature walks, behind-the-scenes tours of laboratories, introductions to resource centers, modeling of inquiry-based activities and more. Each day includes a balance of indoor, classroom-based components and outdoor field experiences. All activities are designed to help you meet State Frameworks and create interdisciplinary connections. Participants can choose to receive PDPs, or graduate credit and PDPs.
- Learn to use inquiry-based, hands-on methods in your classroom
- Participate in classroom and outdoor experiences
- Explore educational resources in your community
- Learn about field trip and classroom resources available from museums, nature centers and other organizations in your region
- Become part of a network of teachers from your region and across the state
- Earn PDPs/CEUs or PDPs and graduate credit
Regions have included the Berkshires, Boston, Cape Cod, Central/Worcester Region, North Shore, South Shore, Fitchburg, Merrimack/Lowell Region, Metro-West and Southeastern Massachusetts.